Grove Road Community Primary School believes that in order to facilitate teaching and learning, good attendance is essential. Pupils cannot achieve their full potential if they do not regularly attend school.
Reporting an absence or attendance issue
- If the absence is due to illness, this can be reported either via by completing the form available here:
- Report your child's absence
- Alternatively you can telephone the school office on 01423 506060. The office can be very busy at the start of the day so you may find reporting via the form the quickest and easiest option.
- Please notify us of any absence by 8:45am where ever possible.
Attendance at school is compulsory and parents have a legal responsibility for their children's attendance during term time. Where attendance is an issue, we will work with you to find solutions, however persistent absences without good reason may result in penalty notices and further action being taken by North Yorkshire County Council.
Ways you can help
- Book appointments outside of school hours. There are 175 non-school days in the year, please try and make routine appointments (dentist etc.) during holidays or afterschool
- Talk to us - If you are worried about your child, please contact Mrs McGrogan our Parent Support advisor
- Model good attendance behaviour and ensure your child attends school everyday (unless illness prevents this)
Requesting an absence during term time
- The headteacher is unable to authorise holidays during term time.
The headteacher is only allowed to grant a leave of absence in exceptional circumstances. Applications for exceptional leave must be made in advance and the Headteacher must be satisfied by the evidence which is presented, before authorising term-time leave.
Any request for exceptional leave will be considered on an individual basis and the pupil's previous attendance record will be taken into account.