Our teachers use ‘Iris Connect’ in school
Iris Connect is a new approach to helping teachers to improve their practice by videoing learning.
We see many benefits of video lesson observation
- Self observation – with video, teachers observe their own lessons for a deeper level of self reflection which they can refer back to any time
- Time for peer observation – filming teacher's lessons will help them to make time for peer observation without having to interrupt their own class. This will help them and their colleagues share practice more regularly
- Increases authenticity– the dynamic of the class won’t be altered by the presence of an in-class observer; they can simply continue teaching as they would normally
- Continuing Development discussions are based on real events- see what actually happened in the lesson rather than relying on recollection and potentially conflicting accounts. This helps teachers to build trust, have valuable dialogue and stronger working relationships making for much more powerful lesson observations for everyone!
Code of Practice
The IRIS Connect system is designed for professional development and uses video and audio recordings to enable teacher reflection and collaboration. As a learning community we recognise the need for a shared understanding of what the system is for and how it will be used.
As a professional learning community we agree:
- The system is for personal reflection, collaboration, coaching and enquiry learning, and remains under the control of the individual teacher at all stages
- The system will not be used for surveillance
- No pressure will be placed on teachers to share their practice with other users of the system
- All individual users, agree to use the system sensitively and with due respect for colleagues
- Individual users agree to use all of the systems security features and protocols to ensure privacy and security for teachers and pupils
- All individual users have the responsibility to ensure that relevant parties, learners, other teachers, visitors etc. know when the cameras are recording and the purpose of the recording
- All individual users have the responsibility to protect their own data and the data of others.